|The three decades immediately before the First World War include names as famous as almost any in Trinity's history. A.N. Whitehead, Bertrand Russell, G.E. Moore, G.H. Hardy and A.E. Housman, amongst others, earned an international reputation which lent great lustre to the College and acted as a force to attract gifted scholars from all over the world.
The new College Statutes of 1926 made further changes that were important in the domestic life of the College: the Mastership ceased to be a life appointment, the tenure of junior Fellowships became conditional upon research and life tenure of Fellowships became, in general, the reward for long service rather than a privilege acquired with first election.
The post World War II period saw the College overcrowded with undergraduates. One of the most urgent problems to be faced after 1945 was the need for more rooms and there have been few years since then in which new buildings were neither being erected nor planned. Major recent developments include Blue Boar Court and Burrell's Field which were completed in the 1990s.
There were important changes in the organisation of the College during the 1960s and 70s. In 1975 the College Statutes were altered to allow the admission of women as members of the College. The first woman Fellow was elected in 1977; women graduate students arrived in 1976, and women undergraduates in 1978. The total number of undergraduate students has been steady at around 650 for a long period of time but during the last 20 years there has been a large increase in the number of graduate students to the current figure of 300.