JRF: Applicants from outside the EEA

Jump to: Further Information | How to Apply | Applicants outside the EEA | Contacts | FAQs | Notes for Referees (Research Supervisors and Testimonial Referees) | Shortlisting and Election

Nationals from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) are subject to immigration control and the points-based system (PBS). The PBS was introduced through the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006, replacing work permit and other immigrant worker schemes. Under the PBS migrants have to accumulate a minimum number of points which are awarded against such factors as qualifications, prospective earnings and English language competence in order to obtain entry clearance and leave to remain in the UK.

Applicants from outside the European Economic Area who do not have an automatic right to work in the United Kingdom should note that, although they would still be elected to a Fellowship on 2 October 2018, employment and the payment of stipend cannot commence until a Certificate of Sponsorship has been issued by the College and appropriate leave to enter or remain has been granted by the Home Office.

Please note that any information provided here is subject to change. Candidates should in all cases consult the Home Office website for official and up-to-date guidance. The College is unable to answer questions on immigration rules from applicants and will liaise with successful candidates on the requirements for their individual situation when elected.

Candidates studying for a PhD degree at a UK University

Those appointed to Junior Research Fellowships who are studying for a PhD degree at a UK university at the time of election will remain on their current student visa until their degree has been approved. It is the Fellow’s responsibility to ensure that their leave to remain as a student is extended as required although the College will cover the fee in connection with an application for extension. As soon as the Fellow’s PhD degree has been approved, the procedures set out below will be followed.

Applications under Tier 2 of the Points-based immigration system

For successful candidates who do not have an automatic right to work in the United Kingdom (including those who are completing a PhD at an overseas institution) an application will be made under Tier 2 of the points-based immigration system. Under this system:

  1. The College has to issue an electronic Certificate of Sponsorship (reference number)
  2. The individual then has to apply to the Home Office (British Embassy or Consulate if overseas) for a grant of leave to remain or leave to enter using the reference number of the Certificate of Sponsorship. The individual will be assessed against the requirements of the points-based system: the Certificate of Sponsorship does not guarantee that a grant of leave will be given.