Initial Setup Guides
To connect to the network via a network cable to the network socket in your room you will need:
- An Ethernet port on your computer. Or an appropriate adapter, for example USB to Ethernet.
- A network cable. You can collect one from the IT Office during the surgery hour (Mon-Fri 2pm-3pm).
To Activate Your Network Connection:
- Connect the network cable to the network card and the network socket on the wall.
- Set your network card to get an IP address automatically via DHCP. See below for detailed instructions for your operating system.
- Open your web browser, type in a URL address that you have not visited before, like www.bbc.co.uk and hit return.
- You will be redirected to the TCDN Registration form. Click the Click here to log-in using Raven link.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Windows XP Users
Trinity College no longer offers any support for Windows XP (other than that offered here), as official support from Microsoft was withdrawn some time ago.
Connecting to Hermes email and DS-Filestore from a Student Owned PC or Mac
Your Hermes email account can be accessed on the internet by going to the following web page and logging in with your Raven username and password: https://webmail.hermes.cam.ac.uk. Currently, only secure FTP or SCP clients are supported for connections to your personal filespace. We would recommend installing WinSCP for the PC or the FTP Client for the Macintosh platform. See here for details on how to set up access to your personal file space.
Wireless Connection Set-up Guides
We offer wireless networking in several locations. To connect to the wireless network, you will need:
- A computer with wireless connectivity. This is built-in to most modern laptops.
- Software which allows the computer to talk to the network via the wireless network card (drivers).
- An IP address.
To Connect To TC-WLAN
Please see Connecting to the Wireless Network.(You will need your Raven details to view this page)
To Connect to eduroam
We provide access to eduroam in the same locations mentioned in the list of wireless locations (link above). Eduroam is also available across Cambridge University and in many other institutions throughout the world. Details on how to connect your device to eduroam can be found on the UIS website here: http://www.ucs.cam.ac.uk/wireless/eduroam/localusers. Note that you will need your Raven username and password to collect your eduroam token before you can connect.