The Eadwine Psalter
Canterbury, c. 1150
This Psalter, also known as the Canterbury Psalter after its scribe, is one of three surviving manuscripts copied from the Utrecht Psalter, an early 9th century manuscript from Rheims which was at Christ Church, Canterbury in the Middle Ages.
The Canterbury Psalter contains a parallel text of the three versions of the Psalms, each accompanied by an interlinear gloss. The innermost text-column is St Jerome’s Latin translation from Hebrew with a translation in Old French; the middle column gives tSt Jerome’s Roman version, with a translation into Old English; and the outer, main, column on each page is St Jerome’s revision of the Romanum, with gloss.
Each Psalm is preceded by an oblong illustration derived from the Utrecht Psalter.
To read more about this manuscript see our blog.