About Trinity College
Trinity College, founded in 1546 by Henry VIII, is the largest College in the University of Cambridge, with some 700 undergraduates, 350 graduate students, over 180 Fellows and around 350 non-academic staff. Trinity’s endowment is the largest of all Cambridge Colleges and is valued at over £1.5 billion, largely split between property and equity, and generating over £30 million of annual income.
The beauty and size of Trinity’s courts attract visitors from all over the world, but the College is also a thriving, modern community, which exists to give its members a rewarding, richly resourced, and intellectually inspiring place in which to pursue their education and research.
About the role
Over time, Trinity’s investment portfolio across the endowment, ATF and pension fund has grown in size and complexity, requiring additional analytical resources for the Senior Bursar to support College income levels, increase resilience and ensure that Trinity’s long-term priorities around delivering education and research for the public good are met. In this context, Trinity’s Senior Bursar office is looking for a full time investment analyst on a temporary contract, initially for 2 years. This role will be reporting directly to the Senior Bursar, former Global Chief Investment Strategist at BlackRock.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Performing financial investment analyses across Trinity’s endowment, including valuation, performance and risk
- Supporting and reviewing operational processes related to the management of the portfolio, including selection of external managers and liaison with third party managers
- Supporting asset allocation decisions across the portfolio with input from the Senior Bursar and in coordination with third party portfolio managers
- Maintaining and improving regular reporting on the portfolio, including supporting the Senior Bursar in preparing for internal College committees (e.g., performing relevant analyses, preparing the agenda, reports and papers) and reporting on other financial matters of the College to the Senior Bursar (including Trust Fund, Pension Fund, insurances etc.)
- Supporting the Senior Bursar on special projects (e.g., through analyses, project management)
Experience and skills
In order to excel in this role, you will have the following:
- Proven experience of investment/financial analysis (e.g., valuation, performance and risk analysis, reporting, monitoring). Experience in equities/property investment would be beneficial.
- A degree (Undergraduate or Postgraduate) in a relevant field (e.g., economics, business, finance, accounting, mathematics etc.)
- Very strong quantitative and analytical skills, including Excel modelling (e.g., ability to engage with large data sets, valuation)
- Excellent problem solving skills and ability to express and present ideas clearly, concisely. Knowledge of power point would be an advantage.
- Highly proactive working style (e.g., taking action without being prompted), comfortable with assumptions and ambiguity (especially in the context of Excel modelling) and able to provide recommendations based on available evidence.
- Experience in project management would be desirable.
What Trinity can offer you?
As an institution, Trinity is home to some of the brightest minds in the world (including 34 Nobel Prize winners), some with which you will be closely collaborating. This role offers an unparalleled opportunity to work closely and hands on with a £1.5 billion endowment, and understanding its management and asset allocation on a short and long-term basis. By working in the Senior Bursar’s office and directly with the Senior Bursar, you will be part of a dynamic and dedicated team working in a non-hierarchical atmosphere who can provide mentorship beyond daily tasks.
Trinity is a competitive employer. In addition to offering 25 days of holiday (plus 8 public holidays) a year, Trinity provides lunch to all employees who work on site. Trinity also offers a generous pension scheme and private health care, as well as a cycle to work scheme (tax-free benefit) and access to a gym for a modest fee. In addition, Trinity is a highly social place, which, outside of COVID-19, offers regular outings to places of interest, and organises functions including a Christmas event.
Rate of Pay: up to £40,000 pa
How to apply
To apply, please return the following application form and equal opportunities monitoring form, in addition to a CV and cover letter to email@example.com.
Closing date for applications is 5.00 pm on Friday 27 November 2020