The Wren library was completed in 1695 to the designs of Sir Christopher Wren.
On the East side it faces into Nevile's Court, the second court of Trinity College:
On the West Side it faces out on to the backs:
Wren was not only responsible for the design of the fabric of the building, but for the furniture as well.
The limewood carvings inside are the work of Grinling Gibbons, who carved royal arms at the North and South ends of the library, arms of major subscribers to the appeal for funds for its erection for the ends of the presses, and other decorations throughout.
The marble busts by Roubiliac and others portray 17th and 18th-century members of the college, including Sir Isaac Newton, Richard Bentley and Sir Edward Coke.
The full length marble statue of Lord Byron was carved by Thorvaldsen and originally destined for Westminster Abbey.
The painted South end window was designed by Cipriani and depicts an allegorical scene in which Newton is presented to King George III with Francis Bacon below.
Back to Wren Library