Trinity College gardens extend for 36 acres including the obviously well known areas such as Great Court, Trinity Backs and the plot of grass outside Great Gate where “Newton’s Apple tree” stands.
Less well known are areas such as the Fellows’ Bowling Green, an area laid out as such in 1647 but which was originally a garden for Kings Hall,one of the two colleges that were combined to form Trinity in 1546.
Across Queens Road is the Fellows’ Garden which has a wide expanse of lawn, some fine mature trees, a rose garden with a sundial commemorating three members of the Fellowship who died in the First World War and a wild flower meadow planted up with bulbs.
Further towards Grange Road is Burrells Field where late 20th century hostels share the site with four older large houses.that have been converted to student accommodation with landscaped grounds.
A Garden Committee of Fellows, plus the Head Gardener, meet regularly to discuss changes and monitor progress.
There are about a dozen gardeners (the number varies throughout the year) including the Head Gardener, Deputy and three Senior Gardeners. The Seniors each have responsibility for areas of the College and manage them on a day to day basis whilst the Head Gardener oversees the overall vision for the Gardens.
If you have any comments or questions then do feel free to contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01223338530