skip to Main Content

Trinity College Welfare Support Chart

The chart below introduces the main sources of welfare support for students, with a brief summary on the type of advice, referral and signposting offered within College, as well as important sources of help beyond the College.

When you are calling emergency services, please let the porters know (01223 338400) so that they can direct them to where you are as swiftly as possible.


  • General oversight and monitoring.
  • Available via drop-in office hours and/or by appointment.
  • Pastoral support for work-related stress and/or personal difficulties.
  • Support and advice regarding financial difficulties.
  • Signposting to other sources of welfare support, including the Academic Skills Tutor.
  • Referral to College Nurse/Mental Health Adviser/DRC for physical or mental health matters.

Director of Studies

  • Regular termly meetings and also available by appointment.
  • Academic oversight, monitoring and support.
  • Academic and assessment concerns.
  • Referral to the Academic Skills Tutor.
  • Signposting or referral to Tutor or other appropriate welfare support.
  • Coordination with Tutor and students’ supervisors where necessary.

Senior Tutor

  • General oversight of welfare policies and provision.
  • Advice and support in complex or serious cases.

College Mental Health Adviser (MHA)

  • Self-referral or referral via Tutor/Nurse/Chaplains etc.
  • Support and advice on student mental health and needs.
  • Referral to appropriate counselling/CBT.
  • Advice on welfare policy and provision.


  • Listening to anything and everything that bothers or matters to students (irrespective of a student’s view on religion).
  • Support and advice on existential and spiritual matters.
  • Signposting to other welfare support.
  • Advice on welfare policy and provision.

Academic Skills Tutor

  • The AST’s main brief is to help students with academic skills such as essay writing.
  • In addition, the AST co-ordinates group sessions to support studies, such as time-management, sustaining motivation, as well as ‘managing emotions’ (with a counsellor).

College Nurse

  • Self-referral or referral by Tutor/Chaplains etc. Drop-in during surgery hours.
  • General health support & triage (symptom-checking, including Covid).
  • Liaising with and referral to GP on general health matters.
  • Liaising with specialist medical services such as the Adult East Disorder Services.
  • Signposting to other welfare suport.
  • Referral to MHA or DRC.

Other Support (College)

  • Fellow for Trinity women.
  • Fellow for LGBT+.
  • Fellow for Ethnic Diversity.

Peer Support (College)

  • Welfare Officers of TCSU and BA Society
  • Feedback on College Welfare Policy and Provision.

Peer Support (University & Other)

  • Cambridge Student Union Advice Service; confidential and impartial support.
  • Student Minds; self-help resources, signposting and an uplifting social media stream.
  • Together all; peer support for mental health including 24h text/voice counselling.

University Disability Resources Centre

  • Self-referral; referral by Tutor/Nurse/Chaplains etc.
  • Support for students with disabilities and/or special learning difficulties(e.g. dyslexia).
  • Meeting (possibly in College) with the DRC liaison officer by appointment.
  • Advice to College on equipment and other need-specific support.

University Counselling Service

  • Self-referral via the website.
  • Online or phone counselling, offers also group workshops.
  • Funds available for private counselling and long courses of therapy.

NHS & Other

Check also our health app:

Back To Top
College Crest

Contact us

        MyTrin | Student Hub

Access and Outreach Hub