- Distractions Cyclists need to concentrate as much as any other road user, if not more, as they are more vulnerable. Using mobile phones and music players whilst cycling is extremely dangerous, as cyclists need to concentrate on the road and other road users.
- Visibility Think about clothes. Are they bright and visible? If bright clothes are not suitable for everyday use, fluorescent and reflective tabards can be worn until the destination is reached. White front lights and red rear lights MUST be used after dark. They will also help you be seen in the rain or if the weather is overcast.
- Protection Always wear a helmet as this can reduce the risk of head injury in a crash.
- Road position and signaling Steer clear of the kerb and don’t ride in the gutter. Give space on the left, and don’t hug the kerb if a car behind you gets impatient. Don’t weave between lanes or change direction suddenly. Show drivers what you plan to do in plenty of time. Always look and signal before you start, stop or turn. Make eye contact with drivers and let them know you’ve seen them.
- Maintenance Is the bike regularly maintained and checked? Brakes MUST work well in all conditions. Are lights and reflectors clean and in good working order? Are the tyres in good condition and inflated to the pressure shown on the tyre? Are the gears working correctly? Is the chain properly adjusted and oiled? Are the saddle and handlebars adjusted to the correct height?
Be Safe—Be Seen
- Protect your head with a good quality helmet
- Buy suitable lights for your bike (this is now a legal requirement)
- Make sure you are seen by wearing reflective fluorescent clothing
Cambridgeshire County Council provides online advice about safety helmets and equipment for your bike:
Locking your bike up
By locking your bike properly you can dramatically reduce the chance of it being stolen, look out for our stickers on cycle racks across the estate for advice. If you would like some stickers to put on cycle racks where you are based then please get in touch and we can send you some.