- This event has passed.
March Mentoring Month
March 1, 2023 to March 31, 2023
We are delighted to invite members of the Trinity Women’s Network and Business & City Association to mentor a current Trinity student for our very first Mentoring Month.
Whilst every effort has been made to bring students and alumni together, the Covid-19 pandemic has limited students’ ability to meet with alumni and benefit from their experience, as would normally happen through Alumni Associations and similar activities.
In order to ensure that we provide students with the connections they require for their futures, we are launching a new mentoring scheme – initially in pilot form, but with scope to grow, taking place throughout March 2023. Such schemes have the ability to build a sense of community between past and current Trinity College students. They also aid the transition post-graduation, as students have access to a lifelong network.
To offer students the opportunity to:
- Increase their career clarity
- Feel confident and prepared for their next steps
- Access information and advice from experienced professionals
- Discover strengths, increase confidence and communication
- Explore a sector of interest and gain insights into an industry
- Learn networking skills
- Develop interview skills and CV
- Discover Trinity’s alumni network
To offer alumni the opportunity to:
- Deepen their connection and build a stronger link to Trinity college through volunteering their time and expertise to help current students (“giving back”)
- Share their professional experiences and learning with motivated students who are interested in their field of expertise
- Develop mentoring and coaching skills
- Promote their sector and profession directly to students along with potential career opportunities in their organisation
- Be inspired by the quality of current Trinity students
Mentors – Both the Trinity Women’s Network (TWN) and Trinity Business & City Association (TBCA) have long expressed the desire to mentor students (and young alumni). Across both of these alumni groups, we have a broad spread of knowledge and careers from which students can benefit. Assuming this pilot is a success, we aim to broaden our mentor pool across our entire alumni base in the future.
(* Note: this scheme is not intended to interfere with the successful TLA Mentoring Scheme)
Mentees– After consultation with Tutorial we believe offering this pilot to second-year students will be most effective as they may benefit the most from some guidance given their place in the student cycle. This does not mean that a third- or fourth-year looking for support would be turned away.
I would very much like to invite you to sign up to Trinity Connect and create your own profiles in the Make a connection area – March Mentoring Month. Your application will be reviewed and verified by the Alumni Relations Department.
Students will be provided with anonymised profiles of our mentors and asked to register their interest in building a connection with a Trinity College alumnus/na in a chosen field. We will then match students with the most relevant volunteer in consultation with the tutorial team.
Both mentors and mentees sign up for a minimum of three contact points over the course of the mentoring month. Plus an online launch event and an invitation to a closing event. These engagements can be a combination of, telephone, email conversations, or online via teams/zoom. The mentee would be responsible for organising these meetings.
Now – You are invited to volunteer your time to mentor a student
Mid-February – Students are invited to register to be mentored and consider their goals
End February – your matches announced, online guidance evenings, for mentors and one for mentees to make the most of connections
Wednesday 1st March 6.30pm to 7.30pm – Launch event, meet your match.
March – Mentoring month, 3 minimum contact points at times and in formats agreed upon by the mentor and mentee
April W/C 23rd – beginning of term in-person reception event, in College to celebrate and bring together mentors and mentees